(begins 2nd trimester)
READING PROGRAM for LEVELED BOOKS
Each Monday, your child will take home 2 leveled books reflective of their reading level. These levels may be easy (to develop fluency, practice, and confidence), just right (to practice at their appropriate level), and a bit challenging (to help push them to the next level). Your child is to read each of the books several times a day.
Reading Homework Instruction
- Child reads each night.
- Do a picture walk for new books.
- For advanced readers with chapter books--you will get 1 book for the week. Read 1-2 chapters a night.
Some reading tips...
- Be sure your child points to each word as s/he reads; or the higher level--slide the finger along. This helps to prevent skipping a word or mixing a word up.
- Have the "Good Readers" strategy paper out to help practice reading strategies.
- As the adult, do not ask your child to "sound out the word." Instead, get your mouth ready and "stretch out" the word and look for word chunks or use another strategy.
- Encourage your child to listen to themselves read and ask them "does it make sense?" when they make a mistake.